Thursday, February 14, 2013

Don't call it a comeback

Hi readers. Still friends? I'm sorry I've been away for a while, particularly without any explanation. There are a myriad of reasons that I haven't been writing lately. One of them is that I really felt that I haven't had anything of importance to say. Without getting into too much detail, I had some pretty big things happen over the last month. Some of them were like gigantic-big and others were less significant at the time, but have weighed heavy on me nonetheless. Well, now we're into Lent, a time of preparation and renewal. I feel suddenly better now that I am concentrating on simplifying life and getting back to what's important. This blog, is one of those things. I didn't make it a Lenten resolution to post everyday during these 40 (much to all of your chagrin, I'm sure), but I have resolved to concentrate more on the things that I view as both important and nourishing to the soul.

Speaking of, a quick update: I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to attempt to say the Liturgy of the Hours. Let's just say that was a stretch goal. That is a promise much harder to keep than I had imagined, and I'm only one day into Lent. Here's what I am doing. I have decided to say a daily rosary (I'm considering saying all four sets of mysteries, which takes about an hour. Challenge!) and read the Lenten reflection book that my parish gave out last Sunday. I have also added fasting to help me remain mindful all day. For those that aren't in the "secret handshake club" (as my one fraternity brother ironically calls the Catholic Church), Catholic fasting isn't not eating anything for 40 days (yes, I am aware of that double negative). I do, though, enjoy watching the look on people's faces who think that is what I'm doing. The point of the fast is to maintain a feeling of hunger all day. This consists of two small snacks and one full meal. I'm also abstaining from meat and all forms of liquid other than water. I assume a lot of you are now concerned about me keeping my Lenten promise on St. Patrick's day. Lucky for you I'm going to lay down even more knowledge on you! Sundays aren't part of the 40 days of Lent! Neither are the Triduum of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday, but since you have to fast and abstain on Good Friday anyway, many people just hold out with their Lenten promises until Easter Sunday. And St. Paddy's feast day falls on a Sunday this year! If you're still confused, yesterday I ate a cup of yogurt, a very small piece of leftover sticky bun (it was stale, if you think that it didn't sound Lenten enough) and had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. I'm guessing that's around 800 calories or so. I'm also guessing that I normally eat around 2500 calories on an average day, so I think I've succeeded in feeling hungry all day. I am also attempting to increase my parentheses usage!

Finally, I was going to write an article today on an atheism and authenticity puzzle that I've been working on, but I'm going to put it on hold, since I read a really good article written by an atheist.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best with your Lenten endeavors! And that you find it a grace-filled time.
    I read the article you linked. Very interesting. The writer sure got some reaction, too. I don;t know anything about the Irish laundry he spoke of, but his broader point I have been saying for years.
    Here-http://thesestonewalls.com/--is the blog of a falsely accused priest who is now 19 years in a New Hampshire prison. Which illustrates another side of the false perception club.

    Also here --http://www.conversiondiary.com/
    is the blog of an athiest to Catholic convert. She is pretty well known, been on EWTN, etc. She is a writer by trade, so besides her great story the reading is always a pleasure.

    Happy and Holy Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically, there was an inquiry into these laundry facilities that nuns ran for women to work at that didn't have anywhere else to go. The inquiry showed that most of the abuse attributed to the facilities were mostly blarney. I will check out those links too, sounds interesting!

      Delete