Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chesterton

I wanted to use this space today to give props to one of the greatest wordsmiths of all time, G.K. Chesterton
I bet if I had a study like that, I could write prolific stuff too!
There are so many links to this man and to so many of the things that I find intellectually interesting, it is scary. I was first introduced to Chesterton when I was reading Bill Bryson (who incidentally is a phenomenal writer too). Chesterton converted from High Anglican to Roman Catholicism, was a fan of Aquinas, wrote exhaustively about Nietzsche, and has one of the best quotes ever:

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Even if you have no interest in the topic on which Chesterton is writing, he does it in such a way that you are entertained beyond belief. I am actually quite perturbed that it took me until my late twenties to discover him. It should be mandatory reading in every high school in America. Seriously. His approach is so delicate, so elegant, you can't but help see his side of the story. His humor is so subtle that it dances off the pages, as opposed to smacking you in the face as we have become accustomed to with our contemporary humorists.

Just pick any random essay or article or book that he has written. It doesn't matter which one. Your life will be enriched and you will drive to my house to thank me in person for enriching your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment